Welcome to Our Little Ohana!

Aloha! Crazy is the world of blogging! I've had so many different blogs and yes, I'm making one more. This one, however, is a remake. I want my family blog to be open to more readers, but I don't want to put my kids' names, our home town, and our calendar out there for the world to
see. So I have created this new blog to take the place of my previous family blog. Many of you regular readers know our names and where we live and all that good stuff, so please don't comment with that information. My family will have nicknames and I'd very much appreciate you using those when you want to leave a comment. (And I love comments!) My husband served his mission in Hawaii so I've decided to use that as a little fun to our new blog!
Hope you enjoy reading!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Ironman 2010

As most of you know, my dad had been training for the 2010 Florida Ford Ironman for almost an entire year when he got in a terrible bike accident only 3 tiny weeks from the big day. He broke his clavicle into 5 pieces (ending up with surgery putting a metal plate and 9 screws in), fractured a rib, got a concussion, and lots of bumps, bruises, and road rash. Sadly, he realized he wouldn't be able to compete in this year's Ironman. However, his good friend had been training with him all year and would still be competing. We all decided we would still love to go and support this good friend. So, only slightly changing our departure plans, we headed down to Florida for another Ironman!



The view from our condo when we arrived Friday night!



We opted to just watch the swim start from our room. We had that great view!






We headed down to the first Transition (T1) to see our friend and of course it was insane out there so I didn't get a picture. My main goal was to get my dad a chance to see his buddy. (Dad is awesome at the whole competing in the race thing, but is a complete novice when it comes to what our Team does to cheer for him!) I helped him see his friend entering T1 and exiting out to start the bike. (I think by then he was beginning to see how hard it actually is to do what we do!)



We picked a great spot (after about 4 U-turns) to see our friend twice in one stop.



While waiting for our second pass by, we took a photo of the Team!



Our lookouts.



His second ride-by. Now we're off to catch him starting the run!



Looking quite happy for already having done 7+ hours!



At another run siting, Dad got a chance to run with him for about a mile!



Running right by me down the home stretch completely concentrating on his finish!



His fam was there too!



Dad welcoming his best bud into the Ironman Finishers club! (Well, there should be a club!)
- Posted using BlogPress on my iPad

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

great pictures!!!
and I love how you described dad being a good triathlete but a novice to the whole team whetstone thing